So ... Wednesday, after the surgery, Aurora and I walked up and down our little street for hours (H.o.u.r.s). She looked at everything - sometimes standing still and watching a bird, sometimes walking very very slowly as her head turned side to side, just taking it all in. (I'm sure she was remapping her surroundings in her brain.) Sometimes she would just sit in a neighbor's yard and watch the neighborhood. (It was, however, freezing cold with a wind chill out there -- 15 F/-9 C.)
This continued most of the day until she pooped.
(Yes, I just wrote that. For reals. Anesthesia slows peristalsis - causing constipation. No insulin prior to surgery raises blood sugar. This pulls water into the blood as the body tries to dilute the blood sugar - causing constipation. Lack of food (surgery, anesthesia) eliminates the pressure on the bowel - encouraging constipation.)
We watched a squirrel. She noticed that the house has windows that see through to the outside. She watched birds with Nickie.
She finally slept - but I had to lock the kittens downstairs. Ned's staring at her was unnerving.
Yesterday we were very busy (vet check (excellent), horse visit, more slow walking, ... figuring out how to eat when one's head is in a cone).
Today, we are walking again. Seems we'll be clearing the back log ...
My (blogging) problems continue. At least I think they do; Typepad may have fixed them but I have to assume not.
I'm writing because:
1. Yes, I've got a move to Wordpress in progress
2. I've got 5 hats knit (something has to keep you coming back!)
3. Aurora is having surgery tomorrow. It is "only" cataract surgery but she's my rescue baby - who was found abandonned and starving and pregnant (and she lost the little ones). Tomorrow I'm not allowed to feed her breakfast (or give insulin) and she just won't understand. (We joke: maybe I should have asked for some valium for me.)
(This means I may be off-line for a few more days. Depends on how it goes. She isn't taking well to the pre-surgury meds.)
4. I'm going to tempt fate - I've think I've got to the point where I can post one picture per posting. If I type first, add the picture last, and only one pic, and I'm really quick about it. The browser won't crash.
.... so much for that working... let's try sticking our head behind the cabinet...
In the end, I think that is what NaBloPoMo is all about - planting seeds and becoming rooted in your own internet presence and habits.
I don't think I can claim "success". There were 2 posts that didn't happen on time due to internet outages. (At which point, I realized the need to use the scheduling software. It is the only way (for me) to make daily posting even feasible. Case in point: we arrived home tonight to find that contractors had not reconnected FIOS after the day's events.
(Aside: does anyone remember, at the end of September, when I joked with the contractor: Would he be done by Thanksgiving?
"Oh yes!" He says. "We'll be out of here by Hallowe'en."
I made a baktus scarf for a woman I work with and a black watch (chemo) cap for her husband (worked with him for 20 years).
The scarf pattern was so charming and so much fun to knit (check out the Rav pix!) that I resolved to make another for me. I had one false start (with yarn that did not pool and stripe) and then started the one pictured here (on my lap with my knit kat).
Today I received a lovely thank you for both: She tells me that He wore his hat for last several weeks, unstopping. It smells like him and now She's been sleeping with it.
I cast on for this scarf moments after learning He had passed away so suddenly.
(Knit deets: Noro Silk Garden Lite, 2 skeins. Bands are in a jumble with other
projects but I could figure out the colorway if asked. Size 7
needles. Knit time - barely a week. I worked the first skein from the
outside in. As I approached the end of the first skein, I checked the second skein insides to see where it started and realized I could easily splice them together for a reverse striping effect. (Lucky me!) I forgot that Noro g per skein can vary widely, and hadn't measured either skein. So when I was finishing up the second, I had quite a bit of leftover yarn. I ripped back to the middle, continued increasing for 2 repeats and knit back out. The stripes match but it isn't symmetric around the center point.)